Memorial marker at site of Table Rock

The Table Rock Peace Treaty was negotiated between the United States and several groups of Rogue River Indians in September 1853. Gold had been discovered just three years earlier, attracting thousands of miners and settlers to the region. This massive influx of newcomers resulted in some of the most violent conflicts in Oregon history, which were stemmed only temporarily by the 1853 treaty.  The Indians of the Rogue River Valley put up a fierce resistance, but the whites had superior numbers and the backing of the federal and state governments. In the summer of 1853, the leaders of several Indian groups called for peace, appealing to former governor Joseph Lane, commander of U.S. forces, to negotiate a peace treaty. The chiefs agreed to give up most of their lands, roughly two thousand square miles, in exchange for a 100-square mile reservation and $60,000, a quarter of which would be used to pay for the war waged against them. The remainder of the settlement would come in the form of clothing, blankets, livestock, and agricultural equipment. The peace established by the Table Rock Treaty did not last long. The wars between whites and Indians in southwestern Oregon would not end until 1856. That year, the Rogue River Indians were forced to give up their lands, including the newly created Table Rock Reservation, in exchange for a new reservation far to the north. By the end of the year, more than two thousand Rogue River Indians had been forcibly relocated to the Coast Reservation, which later became the Siletz Reservation. This
photo shows the memorial marker of the peace treaty, a rough stone encased by steel spikes., Courtesy of the Oregon State Library
Abstract/Description: The Table Rock Peace Treaty was negotiated between the United States and several groups of Rogue River Indians in September 1853. Gold had been discovered just three years earlier, attracting thousands of miners and settlers to the region. This massive influx of newcomers resulted in some of the most violent conflicts in Oregon history, which were stemmed only temporarily by the 1853 treaty. The Indians of the Rogue River Valley put up a fierce resistance, but the whites had superior numbers and the backing of the federal and state governments. In the summer of 1853, the leaders of several Indian groups called for peace, appealing to former governor Joseph Lane, commander of U.S. forces, to negotiate a peace treaty. The chiefs agreed to give up most of their lands, roughly two thousand square miles, in exchange for a 100-square mile reservation and $60,000, a quarter of which would be used to pay for the war waged against them. The remainder of the settlement would come in the form of clothing, blankets, livestock, and agricultural equipment. The peace established by the Table Rock Treaty did not last long. The wars between whites and Indians in southwestern Oregon would not end until 1856. That year, the Rogue River Indians were forced to give up their lands, including the newly created Table Rock Reservation, in exchange for a new reservation far to the north. By the end of the year, more than two thousand Rogue River Indians had been forcibly relocated to the Coast Reservation, which later became the Siletz Reservation. This photo shows the memorial marker of the peace treaty, a rough stone encased by steel spikes.
Subject(s): Historical markers
Tututni Indians
Oregon--Jackson County
Rogue River Indian War (1855-1856)
Oregon--Table Rock
Peace treaties